Monday, March 30, 2009

Parenthood

My baby is officially two weeks and two days old today. It is such a small amount of time that has passed, but I can't believe that it has already been two weeks since Sophia was born! On one hand, it seems like only a moment has passed since Tony and I checked into the hospital. I keep playing the "two weeks ago" game...two weeks ago, we were getting ready to leave for the hospital; two weeks ago, I was finally getting induced; two weeks ago, Sophie was born.... You get the idea. On the other hand, it seems already like a lifetime ago that she was born. I can't imagine what life would be like now without her being a part of it. Amazing how such a little person has such profound impact on my life.

We had our two week check up today. My first and most immediate observation is that pediatricians are freakishly perky. I guess its an occupational hazard. Secondly, Sophie received a clean bill of health, which is reassuring considering she was practically starving her first few days. She has gained over a pound from her birth weight, and two pounds over what she dropped down to after she was born. According to Dr. Perkypants, Sophie is in the 80th percentile as far as her weight goes (which is hard to believe, because she still looks SO LITTLE). I missed what her actual length is now, but she is just above that average. Doesn't really surprise me, considering Tony and I are both tall kids born to short parents. Her head size is in the 90th percentile, which also doesn't surprise me...I've been told that I have a rather large cranium. :) All in all, Sophie is a healthy and vital little girl who is growing like a weed. Exactly what a new parent wants to hear!

Otherwise, our little family is doing well. Tony and I spend countless moments watching her make faces, and marvel at her adorable little features. Sophie is sleeping pretty well, and we are taking advantage of the three to four hour stretches of sleep we are getting a night. I am enjoying my time off, and am SO GRATEFUL that I will have a full six months at home to be with my daughter. Tony is still hard at work, and unfortunately can't take a paternity leave until next month, but for the most part is making sure that he is home by 7 to enjoy some time with Sophie every day. We have lots of visits from my mom and sister, and Tony's family have all made separate visits over the last couple weeks to see the new addition.

I suppose that's it for now. Our lives are pretty tame for the time being, and we are just enjoying being a trio. Hope everyone is finding themselves as happy and satisfied as we do lately. Stay tuned for more to come!

No comments: